Workshop on Treatment of Hematologic Malignancies

8:00 am–8:00 pm

Sep.
5

Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (SCT) using matched related donors or HLA matched unrelated donors is the treatment of choice for many patients with high-risk or recurrent hematologic malignancies. Around 70% of patients of Caucasian ethnic origin have an available fully HLA-matched unrelated donor in the National Marrow Donor Program Registry, for African Americans (AA) this probability is only 20%. The probability of finding a matched unrelated donor within other ethnic minorities is even lower at less than 10%. As a result, many patients, particularly of non-Caucasian ancestry will not find a well-matched unrelated donor.

The one-child policy in China in the past three decades significantly reduced the family size in China, and the volunteer donor registry is still relatively small with only a couple of million donors. Thus, finding a matched related or unrelated donor remains unlikely for most patients with hematologic malignancies in China. Alternative donors using haploidentical donors, cord blood stem cells or haploidentical/cord stem cell transplantation strategies present an opportunity for curative intent approaches with allogeneic transplantation. While the best alternative donor approach is unknown between mismatched unrelated, UCB, haploidentical or haplo/cord, we believe an international collaborative approach from leading centers has enormous potential to develop an optimal strategy.

The large patient population in China will facilitate enrollment on any clinical trial. Clinical trials in different ethnicities will be highly informative and determine generalizability of a specific approach which has been a limitation in published alterantive donor studies.

In order to enhance future co-operation between The University of Chicago and Peking University and other universities in China in the field of advanced treatment of hematologic 4 malignancies, especially in the utilization of allogeneic stem cell transplantation employing alternative donors. We strongly believe that the proposed workshop will provide an excellent platform for academic engagement to set up pathways of communication and collaboration, to explore the possibilities to conduct clinical trials together and to make significant contributions to the field of alternative donor stem cell transplantation and the treatment of hematologic malignancies.

 

Aims and goals for the Workshop:

1. To establish a regular pathway for academic engagement between The University of Chicago and Peking University and other academic medical institutions in the Beijing area.

2. To ensure dissemination of the latest advances in hematologic malignancies to Chinese hematologists.

3. To develop a framework for collaborative research on hematologic malignancies and allogeneic stem cell transplantation, especially using alternative donors, such as a randomized clinical trial comparing haploidentical donor stem cell transplantation with the haploidentical plus cord blood stem cell transplantation technique.

 

Program

Wednesday, September 5

8:00-8:30             Registration
                               Venue: UChicago Center in Beijing (with coffee and refreshments served)

8:30-8:40             Opening Remarks
                              Dr. Richard Larson, The University of Chicago Medical Center
                              Professor Xiaojun Huang, Peking University Health Center
 

Session One      SCT from Alternative Donors
                              Chairs: Dr. Gorin, University of Paris VI Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) Medical School
                              Dr. Richard Larson, The University of Chicago Medical Center

8:40-9:10             Update of Data on Haploidentical HSCT
                              Professor Daihong LIU, Peking University Institute of Hematology

9:10-9:40             Haplo-cord Data
                              Dr. Keon van Besien, Weill Cornell Medical College

9:40-10:00          Panel Discussion

10:00-10:20        Coffee Break

Session Two      SCT from Alternative Donors

                              Chairs: Professor Kaiyan Liu, Peking University Institute of Hematology
                              Professor Zonghong Shao, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital
                              Dr. Wendy Stock, The University of Chicago Medical Center

10:20-10:40       CBT (Cord Blood Transplantation) Data from China
                             Professor Zimin SUN, Anhui Provincial Hospital

10:40-11:00       URD-SCT Data from China
                             Professor He HUANG, The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University Medical School

11:00-11:20       Alternative SCT in Pediatrics
                            Dr. John Cunningham, The University of Chicago Medical Center

11:20-12:00      Haplo-PBSCT from China
                            Professor Ming JIANG, The first affiliated Hospital Xinjiang Medical University
                            Professor Li YU, Chinese PLA General Hospital

12:00-12:20      Panel Discussion

12:20-13:30      Lunch

 Session Three     Complications after SCT

                                Chairs: Professor Ting LIU, Huaxi Hospital of Sichuan University
                                Dr. Keon van Besien, Weill Cornell Medical College

13:30-14:00          DLI for Prophylaxis and Treatment of Relapse after SCT
                                Professor Xiaojun HUANG, Peking University Institute of Hematology

10:40-11:00          URD-SCT Data from China
                               Professor He HUANG, The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University Medical School

14:10-14:30         Panel Discussion
                               WT1 and prophylactic DLI trials at UCMC
                              Dr. Hongtao LIU, The University of Chicago Medical Center

14:30-14:50        Extramedullar Relapse after SCT
                              Professor Xiaowen TANG, Jiangsu Institute of Hematology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University

14:50-15:10        Virus infection in central nervous system after SCT
                              Professor Qifa LIU, Nanfang Hospital Guangzhou (the first affiliated hospital to Southern Medical University)

15:10-15:20        Panel Discussion

15:20-15:40        Coffee Break

Session Four     Treatment of Acute Leukemia with SCT

                             Chair: Professor Depei WU, Jiangsu Institute of Hematology, the First
                             Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University
                             Dr. John Cunningham, The University of Chicago Medical Center

15:40-16:00       SCT for AML
                             Dr. Richard Larson, The University of Chicago Medical Center

16:00-16:20       RIC- and Micro- SCT for AML
                             Professor Huisheng AI, 307 hospital of the PLA

16:20-16:40       SCT for Relapsed/Refractory AML
                             Professor Jianmin WANG, Changhai Hospital Attached to the Second Military
                             Medical University

16:40-17:00       Panel Discussion
17:00-17:20       Bridge Chemotherapy Prior to SCT
                             Dr. Wendy Stock, The University of Chicago Medical Center
17:20-17:30       Panel Discussion
17:30-18:00       Wrap-Up and Closing Remarks
18:00-20:00       Conference Dinner
20:00                  Return to Hotel

Organizers: Hongtao Liu (Section of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine) and Xiao-Jun Huang (Peking University Institute of Hematology)