March 28, 2018
Program and Outreach Coordinator
The University of Chicago Center in Beijing is a wholly foreign owned enterprise that provides consulting services to the University of Chicago. Through the University of Chicago Center in Beijing, located in the Culture Plaza Building of Renmin University in the Haidian District, the company will provide office and IT support to University of Chicago faculty and students while they are visiting China. The company will arrange and promote lectures, workshops, and seminars; promote cultural exchange activities; provide meeting and conference services; and host these activities at the Center in Beijing.
The program and outreach coordinator is responsible for ensuring the smooth functioning of programs for University of Chicago graduate and undergraduate students held at the University of Chicago Center in Beijing. This staff person will also assist in planning special events, and will be responsible for their management, marketing, and execution. The position serves as a Beijing staff contact person for student and alumni services offices of University, including the College, Study Abroad Office, Graham School (for summer language program), College Admissions, Career Advancement, and Alumni Relations and Development. This position reports to the Deputy Directors.
- Provides primary support to programs held at the Center in Beijing for University of Chicago undergraduate students. Programs include the East Asian Civilizations Abroad Program, the Chinese language pre-programs, the summer Chinese language program, the Metcalf internship programs, and summer research internships.
- Makes logistical arrangements for all programmatic needs.
- Serves as a primary contact with the alumni community, including the University of Chicago Alumni Relations and Development Office and the local Beijing UChicago alumni clubs.
- Supports the planning, marketing, and execution of programming and events at the Center, including alumni receptions, admissions and recruiting sessions, career seminars, public speaker events, and other special events.
- Serves as primary contact person for visiting students and young alumni.
- Serves as primary programming contact for a number of University of Chicago departments, including the Study Abroad Office, the UChicago Global, the Career Advancement Office, and the Office of College Admissions.
- Works with Renmin University’s International Office, Chinese language department, and Housing Office to arrange visa documents, assist with the hiring of Chinese language teachers, and reserve housing for students.
- Works with faculty members in Chicago to make logistical arrangements for teaching in Beijing, speaker events, and other initiatives.
- Creates material pertaining to student programs and events for the UChicago.cn website. Posts this material and assists with maintaining the website as needed. Performs maintenance of local University of Chicago alumni club website content as needed.
- Tracks expenses, assists supervisor in implementing the programs within schedule and budget, and prepares program spending reports.
- Other essential duties as assigned, such as communications.
The new Program and Outreach Coordinator will ideally enter the position full-time at the end of May 2018 and will undergo training and a gradual assumption of responsibilities via the current Coordinator, who will depart at the beginning of June 2018.
We request that the incumbent commit to a minimum of two-year service.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for Program and Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for two references (mobile or office phone number, email address, title, and company/organization)